The WWI BattleField Experience
About this tour
During World War I the battles around Ypres and the Somme alone cost the lives of millions of young men from all around the globe.
Many of them had flocked to join up in the early months of the war and could not have imagined what awaited them as the grim realities of the Western Front unfolded.
Our Battlefields Experience allows you to walk in the very footsteps of the men - and women - who fought and died there. We will immerse you in the sights, sounds and stories of the Great War to bring you a truly unique and unforgettable experience.
• Put yourselves in the minds of those who served on the battlefields around Ypres and the Somme
• Remember those who served on both sides in the sombre cemeteries of the Western Front
• Visit the mighty monuments to the missing at Thiepval and the Menin Gate
• Hear stories of bravery, tragedy, luck and suffering in the very places they happened.
• Be moved by the Last Post as it is played at the Menin Gate Ceremony
An experience that can truly change the way that you think.
Enquire about this tour
Itinerary, Rates and Schedule
Day 1: Departure
- Depart at 09.00
- Overnight ferry departure; 18.00
Day 2: Ypres Salient, South
- Arrive Europe: 09.00.
- Visit: Messines and Church, Spanbroekmolen Mine or the Pool of Peace, Sanctuary Wood Museum Hill 62, Black Watch Corner Memorial
- Arrive at accommodation 18.00.
Day 3: France and the Somme Battlefields
- Visit: Newfoundland Memorial Park, Ulster Tower, Thiepval, La Boisselle, Dartmoor Cemetery (previously Becordel-Becourt Military Cemetery), Vimy Ridge
Day 4: Ypres Salient, North
- Visit: Essex Farm Cemetery, Poelcapelle (now Poelkapelle), Passchaendale, Tyne Cot, Langemark, Hill 60, Last Post Ceremony, Menin Gate
Day 5: Return
- Leave accommodation 09.00.
- Visit Ypres
- Overnight ferry departure 18.00
- Arrive UK 9.00
- Arrive home at 16.00
- A trained, experienced Mercat Tours International guide
- All transport to and from departure point
- All accommodation
- Dinner, breakfast and packed lunch options
- Free entry to all museums and sites on the itinerary
PRICES FROM £600
- Rates for tours vary depending on the type of group, time of year and type of accommodation required. Contact us directly for a tailored itinerary and costing
What our customers think
"A very interesting and moving experience leaving us all with much to think about and remember."
The variety of the visits and the personal stories made it even more memorable. the supporting materials of appropriate videos, songs and information booklets made us realise that much thought and preparation and enthusiasm had gone into the planning and execution of our Battlefields experience. Thank you very much.
Mrs Shiela Allan, The WWI Battlefield Experience,