Battlefield Tour Guide
Mercat Tours International is looking for individuals with knowledge, passion and a desire to help young people learn about, and from, the World Wars to join our established team of Battlefield Guides.
Since 1997 Mercat Tours International have revealed the story of WWI and WWII battlefields of Belgium and France to high school and adult groups. Our unique approach and committed, passionate guides bring the epic scale of the World Wars alive in a very personal, memorable experience. We give the audience an understanding of events that still shape our world today. This is no ordinary trip – this truly is an experience.
In addition to bringing history alive through storytelling, other duties include:
- To meet and exceed expectations
- To deliver the first class, customer-focussed experience MTI is renowned for
- To manage all aspects of the tour travel, accommodation and content delivery during the course of the experience
- To answer questions openly and honestly
- To communicate in a positive and effective manner with pupils, teachers and members of the public
- To provide a variety of support roles in looking after needs of the group
- To deliver the established MTI programmes and content
- To work collaboratively in partnership with driver and accommodation providers
- To adapt tours to the groups needs and make their comfort your key concern
- To comply with all company policies on security, environmental issues and health and safety
- To be a positive ambassador for Mercat Tours International
What are we looking for in our applicants?
- Training in history or history related subject at degree level
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent standards of customer service
- Professional attitude and appearance
- Energy & enthusiasm
- Calm under pressure
- Excellent personal organisation
- Flexible approach
- Ability to anticipate, and adapt to, group needs
- Ability to adapt content and delivery to a range of audiences
- Valid passport
- Sound knowledge and interest in WWI and WWII
- Teaching experience or leading educational groups
- Experience working in tourism industry
- Full driving licence
- Work offered under Casual Worker Agreement and subject to tax and NI contributions
- Tour duration is between 5 – 6 days
- Potential of >8 tours per year, dependent on availability
- Competitive rates offered
- Accommodation and meals are provided whilst on tour
- Uniform provided – branded jacket, shirts and ties
- All resources provided
- Mercat Tours International operates throughout the year, busy months are primarily during school term times; May-June, September-October. We are unlikely to hire those with limited availability.
- Deadline for applications is Friday 31st August 2018
- All applications must be CV and covering letter in support of application, emailed or posted to the Mercat Tours office
- Only successful applicants will be contacted to arrange an interview
- Interviews will take place in September 2018 at 28 Blair Street, Edinburgh, EH11QR.
- The training programme will begin with successful candidate joining a Mercat Tours International experience.
- Training will consist of tour observation, self-directed study and sharing tours
- Only when recruits reach an acceptable standard of performance will they be cleared for conducting solo tours.
- The Mercat Tours International Training Programme is intensive and builds valuable transferable skills as well as varied opportunities for employment within the business
Applications should be sent to:
FAO Fiona Austin
Mercat Tours International Manager
28 Blair Street