The WWII D-Day Landings Experience
About this tour
Twenty years after the end of WW1, Europe was at war again.
Hitler’s early victories had led to the building of the Atlantic Wall to protect ‘Fortress Europe’. However, it would not be enough. On 6 June 1944, the forces of the British Empire and USA breached the Wall on the beaches of Normandy - ‘Operation Overlord’ had been launched and the liberation of Europe from the dark rule of the Third Reich had begun.
Join our expert battlefield guides as they take you back in time to honour those whose determination was to lead ultimately to the defeat of Nazism and the overthrow of the Third Reich
• Visit Pegasus Bridge and St Mere Eglise, where the first airborne troops landed in the early hours of D Day
• Stand with respect at the grave of the first man to die in the battle
• Trace the footsteps of those who landed at Juno and Gold beaches
• Scale the cliffs above Bloody Omaha
• Lay a wreath to the fallen in Bayeux
The Longest Day – when the course of World War II was finally changed.
Enquire about this tour
Itinerary, Rates and Schedule
Day 1: Departure
- Depart midnight
- Ferry from Portsmouth: 08.45
- Arrive Caen at 15.30
- Accommodation in Bon Sejour hostel in Merville
Day 2: The Beaches
- Visit to: Pegasus Bridge and Museum, Ranville Cemetery, Merville Battery, Sword Beach
Day 3: The Beaches
- Visit to Juno Beach, Courseulles, Gold Beach, the Mulberry Harbours at Arromanches, Bayeux.
Day 4: The Beaches
- Visit to St Mere Eglise, German Cemetery, La Cambe, Pointe du Hoc, American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, Bayeux British Cemetery.
Day 5: The Beaches
- Ferry from Caen: 09.00
- Arrive home midnight.
- A trained, experienced Mercat Tours International guide
- All transport to and from departure point
- All accommodation
- Dinner, breakfast and packed lunch options
- Free entry to all museums and sites on the itinerary
- Rates for tours vary depending on the type of group, time of year and type of accommodation required. Contact us directly for a tailored itinerary and costing,
What our customers think
"A very interesting and moving experience leaving us all with much to think about and remember."
The variety of the visits and the personal stories made it even more memorable. the supporting materials of appropriate videos, songs and information booklets made us realise that much thought and preparation and enthusiasm had gone into the planning and execution of our Battlefields experience. Thank you very much.
Mrs Shiela Allan, The WWI Battlefield Experience,