The Poland Experience
About this tour
The country we now know as Poland has had a turbulent history - never more so than during the the 20th century. Within 20 years of the country being re-established at the end of World War I, it had been swallowed up by Hitler’s Third Reich.
Poland suffered more than most under the Nazis, as its Jewish population was systematically eliminated. The medieval city of Krakow, with its vibrant Jewish community, became a particular focal point for Nazi brutality.
The Poland Experience explores the story of a nation and the sufferings of the Jewish Race, who were very nearly totally eliminated in death camps like Auschwitz and Birkenau.
• Hear of the horror of Nazi occupation in the Jewish ghettos of Krakow
• Be inspired by the stories of those who stood against barbarity
• Stand silent in the extermination camps of Auschwitz - Birkenau
• See the very rooms which tell the story of the Holocaust
• Walk the streets of medieval Krakow,and visit the fascinating Salt Mines at Wieliczka.
A truly emotional experience. Recommended for senior students and adults only.
Enquire about this tour
Itinerary, Rates and Schedule
Day 1: Krakow and the Jews
- Flight from Edinburgh Airport: 06.30
- Arrive Krakow: 11.00. Coach to hotel.
- Visit to: Jewish Quarter of Kazimierz, Jewish ghetto at Podgorze, Schindler’s Factory Museum
Day 2: Auschwitz-Birkenau
- Guided tours of the concentration camps at Auschwitz and Birkenau
Day 3: Medieval Krakow
- Visit to Wieliczka Salt Mine.
- Guided tour and sightseeing trip in Krakow old town
Day 4: Return
- Flight from Krakow: 11.00
- Arrive in Edinburgh: 13.00
- A trained, experienced Mercat Tours International guide
- All transport to and from departure point
- All accommodation
- Dinner, breakfast and packed lunch options
- Free entry to all museums and sites on the itinerary
Rates for tours vary depending on the type of group, time of year and type of accommodation required. Contact us directly for a tailored itinerary and costing,
What our customers think
"A very interesting and moving experience leaving us all with much to think about and remember."
The variety of the visits and the personal stories made it even more memorable. the supporting materials of appropriate videos, songs and information booklets made us realise that much thought and preparation and enthusiasm had gone into the planning and execution of our Battlefields experience. Thank you very much.
Mrs Shiela Allan, The WWI Battlefield Experience,