The Berlin Experience
About this tour
Berlin is a city with a remarkable 20th century history. Having been a centre of European civilisation for almost a thousand years, the years after WWI tell an often grim, but fascinating story.
Let us take you on a journey that tells of the rise and fall of Nazism and reveals the horrors of the Third Reich in the vey streets in which it was spawned. The years afterwards then see a city divided, as the Cold War takes its grip.
Follow the journey with us and finish at the site of the rebirth of German democracy in the Reichstag.
• Trace the growth of the city from Frederick the Great to the Germany of the Kaisers.
• Visit key sites that tell the story of Nazism - from the Olympic Stadium to the first concentration camp at Sachsenhausen
• See how the city became divided at places such as Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall
• Be inspired by the events that led to reunification on a visit to the Reichstag
• Take time to absorb the vibrancy of modern Berlin
Berlin - a truly remarkable city that everyone should experience.
Enquire about this tour
Itinerary, Rates and Schedule
The Berlin Experience Sample Itinerary
(Travel arrangements also available by flight to Berlin)
Day 1: Departure
- Depart 10.00
- Ferry from Hull: 20.30
Day 2: Arrive Rotterdam: 08.30
- Travel to Berlin
- Arrive at accommodation approx 18.00
Day 3: City coach tour of Berlin
- Visit to Unter den Linden, Brandenberg Gate, Alexander Platz, East Berlin
- Evening visit to Sony Centre, Potsdammer Platz.
Day 4: Berlin and the Nazis
- Visit to Arsenal Museum, Gestapo HQ, Olympic Stadium, Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp
Day 5: Divided Berlin
- Visit to The Reichstag, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie Museum and lecture.
- Shopping and free time in Kurfurstendamn and Potsdammer Platz.
Day 6: Departure
- Travel from Berlin to Rotterdam
- Overnight ferry to Hull
- Arrive at school approx 15.00.
- A trained, experienced Mercat Tours International guide
- All transport to and from departure point
- All accommodation
- Dinner, breakfast and packed lunch options
- Free entry to all museums and sites on the itinerary
- Rates for tours vary depending on the type of group, time of year and type of accommodation required. Contact us directly for a tailored itinerary and costing,
What our customers think
"A very interesting and moving experience leaving us all with much to think about and remember."
The variety of the visits and the personal stories made it even more memorable. the supporting materials of appropriate videos, songs and information booklets made us realise that much thought and preparation and enthusiasm had gone into the planning and execution of our Battlefields experience. Thank you very much.
Mrs Shiela Allan, The WWI Battlefield Experience,